Tuesday, November 10, 2009

An Introduction to My Missionary Blog

This is the first official entry to my mission blog. My great sister Rachel will be updating this blog with my weekly emails home. Before my mission to Taipei, Taiwan, I'd like to just say a couple things that have been on my mind.

How I Decided to Serve a Mission

My testimony and desire to serve started when I was a child, being taught by good parents who bore their testimonies to me often and taught me the gospel. It really was just like the Army of Helaman, "I did not doubt that [my parents] knew it." The great lessons and examples of Church leaders in the Harmony Park Ward and the Granite 11th Ward built further on that, strengthening my love for the Church of Jesus Christ. A big moment in my decision to serve a mission came when I was 16 in Nauvoo, Illinois with my brother Michael and my parents. Sister missionaries were EVERYWHERE and I felt this strange excitement when a few of them spoke to us, looked at me and said "a mission is the best thing you'll ever do. Maybe YOU'LL serve one day." Then when I was 18, I was wandering Temple Square and had another one of those "that will be YOU" moments when I was speaking to a sister missionary companionship. In Ukraine (July 2007), I finally decided I would pray about it. The thought came to my mind that I had been given witnesses earlier in my life that I should go and that I knew my answer. I decided then that I would go, but with the turmoil that was going on in my life at the time, I just couldn't pull myself to do it. Through the events that were going on, I felt a HUGE trial of my faith--but eventually, my testimony that had been planted as a child won against the thrashing of the devil. I feel like I was able to exchange my simple childlike belief to an adult love and hope in the Savior and his Restored Gospel. It was such a blessing!

...Regardless, it still took me a while to finally just have the faith to go. I had been feeling this huge void and emptiness in my life, like something was seriously amiss. I couldn't put my finger on it. One day I was talking with my good friend and roommate JP (now serving a mission in Maceio Brazil) and said, "I don't know why I feel so lost right now, like there's something wrong" then, words which were NOT my own, blurted from my mouth saying: "I really need to serve a mission." Instantly that void was filled and I felt the purpose and direction I'd sought so hard for elsewhere. I could not deny that feeling. I KNEW my place. I started my mission papers shortly thereafter.

Why I am Serving a Mission

I'm going to be honest, deciding to serve a mission hasn't been the easiest thing I've ever done. I started dating a wonderful man named Grant Keaton. He's been my best friend and the thought to stay home for him has come to mind often. On top of that, all the exciting fun things I could be doing instead (going to school, playing with friends, getting married...haha, traveling) continued to tempt me. But through countless MIRACLES, Priesthood blessings, answers to prayers and undeniable impressions, I am still goin'! Because the reasons I'm going outweigh the reasons I'd stay. The reasons I'm going are the following: :D

1. I feel like I've been commanded to go. Even though it's optional for girls, I know I have to go. And when God tells you to do something, you JUST DO IT.

2. I love the gospel and am excited to actually have time to sit down and study it for a long time.

3. I am so excited to see the gospel work miracles in people's lives! My Mom is a convert to the Church and I remember her testimony of the mighty change it made in her life when she was taught by the missionaries. I've always wanted to witness that first hand.

4. I love the Lord! I really want others to know this. I feel like knowing that there is someone out there that loves and cares for you so unconditionally is vital and that everyone should know it!

My Testimony

I know that Jesus Christ lives, loves us, and died that we may become perfect through His Atonement. I know God loves His children --ALL of them-- even the deepest darkest sinner. He loves His children so much! Even those who have never, or will never, have the opportunity to learn of Him. I know that Joseph Smith restored the true and full gospel of Jesus Christ. I know the Book of Mormon translated by his hand is a real document that bears testimony of the Savior. I know that there is a living prophet by the name of Thomas S. Monson. I LOVE the temple and the Spirit and promises in there. It is a beautiful and special place and I feel so close to God when I'm there. I know that there are blessings uncountable from living the gospel and being close to the Lord. I love this Church.

In Gratitude

I feel like I've already been WAAAAAY long winded and sappy, but I just want to say that missionary work can't fail when you have sooooo many people backing up a missionary. I am so grateful for the support and love and financial help I've received from COUNTLESS people!! Good friends like Pasha and Denny, Morgan, JP, Lindsey, Emily, Jenna, Raley, and SO many others!! Family members like Aunt Gaye, Uncle Mark, Uncle Eric, Aunt Deanna, Bev, Mary, Carolyn, Grandma and Grandpa Dowdle and all my immediate family members, especially ones who let me crash on their couches. My parents for teaching me to love the gospel! !Members of the BYU 83rd ward and the Eastdell Ward!!!! ALL of them have given so much, financially and spiritually!! Family friends, like Tracy Cutler, the Lomus, and many others. My amazing and wonderful friend Grant. My adorable little sister Brewy. Strangers who put money in my hands just because they heard I was preparing for a mission, especially those kind individuals who patroned the Provo Farmer's Market. Employers and friends from ILP and Qwest and Family Link. The Paulsens, Sorensons, Dowdles, Andersons, Dahlquists, Jensens, Keatons, Twedes, Michaelsons, Gunnells, Robbins, to name just a small few. I have so many names and faces of kind amazing people that have helped me swirling in my mind that me that I can't possibly mention them all, and for that, I apologize. Just know that I have appreciated and been so humbled and touched by the help that I've received. I love you all!! I feel so blessed!!

And here I go! Onward to serve God and the people of Taiwan! [High-pitched, panicked-yet-excited squeals]

1 comment:

  1. We're squealing with you Nicole! May you always know that your parents and family love you and Heavenly Father loves you and will protect you. I know you will be a great servant for the Lord in your corner of the world. No matter what trials are in your life you are blessed and "you will be able to do all things through Christ which strengtheneth you". I adore you and will miss you terribly. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete