Sunday, August 22, 2010

Youth Conference and cockroaches

Hey Family!!

My email will be a little short today. We're going to that theme park again. Liu Fu Cun! This is the last week of the transfer, so we're not sure where we'll be in a week so we're using our season passes to the best fullest. :D

This Thursday was pretty cool. There was a mission-wide youth conference/efy thing near Taizhong that we got to sing at. The mission president of the Taizhong mission (who is apparently very well off...) donated a TON of handcarts to the event and the kids had a little pioneer trek through the jungley hills. Their leaders put chunks of ice in a pond they had to pull through so it would be like the Willy Martin handcart company. Then they threw flour on them as if it were "snow". Haha. So cute. They pulled ALL day in 90 degree CRAZY humid mosquito infested hills. They were beat. That night they had a presentation conducted by President Grimley (our mission president) that showed the "pioneers" of Taiwan. The first Taiwanese missionary, the first couple white missionaries to serve in Taiwan, and some of the first members of Taiwan were there. Then us missionaries sang a couple songs and the kids were all encouraged to serve missions. Pres Grimley kept saying "boys are COMMANDED to go, and girls, you're great and if you WANT you can come along too." But the funny thing is, that in sacrament meeting the next day all the girls bore their testimonies and said "I definitely will serve a mission!" Then flooded us after church and asked when they can knock doors with us. They all wore their "future missionary" tags and stuff. But the boys got up and their testimonies were pretty much "the trek was pretty cool...I'm not sure if I'll serve a mission yet, but it made me think a little bit..." haha.

I hope the pictures I attached to this email work...the first is of my companion playing pool with a broom handle and a cockroach. We keep finding HUGE cockroaches in our kitchen. It's soooo gross!! I found one the other day on the floor about an inch and a half long that looked like it was on it's back and dead. So I picked it up with a tissue and put it in the trash then it jumped up and started running around!! I'm sure the whole apartment complex heard me scream. Yuck. The second picture is of Shandi and Katie and Ryan's baptism last week! They are soooo great!!
The ward is really neat here in Taoyuan. They translated all the ingredients I can't eat into Chinese and the women in the ward all tell me that before they feed us they pray for a long time to figure out something to make that doesn't have soy sauce. Then the bishopric personally took it upon themselves to buy me rice crackers for sacrament meeting. It's sooo nice!

Our investigator Li Jia Lin is still doing well. She has her baptismal interview on Wednesday. She's inviting 4 friends to a church activity this Saturday and is giving away Book of Mormons and pamphlets and teaching her friends to pray and turns on Church DVDs in her drink shop and everything. She is SO incredible. I LOVE her little boys!! I'll have to take a picture of them. They all went to church this week and will keep coming with their mom, which is exciting. I've decided that if there is one thing that I will do better when I get back, is that if there is EVER any Less Active or Investigator that comes to church, I will welcome them and sit with them and be their friend. Nothing makes a missionary swear more than when an investigator goes to church and the members don't really understand that they have to take special care of the new-comer and the investigator feels awkard. Fortunately, recently returned missionaries have often saved the day. I want to be like that when I get back.

Anyways, life is good! I'm trying to remember if anything else interesting happened this week...I can't remember. Anyway, love you all!!!

Coley

No comments:

Post a Comment