Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Drunken Chinese investigators (Week 2 in the SLC mission)

So, 2nd P-Day in the field! This past week was good. We had one of our investigators come to church finally which was awesome. It was a great testimony meeting, which was very good since sometimes they can be scary. Haha. It was really good. There are SUCH good members in this area.

Hmmmm...what happened this last week? Days are SO full of stuff that sometimes you wonder if you've just lived a 36 hour day. Well, my bag is unfortunately lost forever. :( I actually still have faith that I will get it back. Because it turns out no one used my cards, and if I were a crook and stole a bag, I would have at least tried the credit card at Walmart or something. So I don't think it was stolen. Plus, about 40 minutes after I lost the bag I'd called Temple Square and described the bag and they said they'd put it aside and hold it for me. Then magically it *disappeared* and they are assuming that they found another bag that looked like mine when they told me they found mine. I really appreciate Grant going back and forth and searching all over for the bag. I feel so AWFUL because Grant gave me the bag in the first place and it was SO perfect for the Taiwan weather and biking and stuff. WAH! Anyway, what I think happened is some missionary/visitor's center person put it in a *safe* place and it'll come up sometime. This is what I'm praying for at least. Sister Egbert who I live with is so sweet...she replaced my scriptures for me, so I don't have to use my old smelly quad. Haha, my old ratty ones really do smell like puke.

So we tracted a Chinese door at the beginning of the week and set an appointment to come back and teach. The young guy was really nice and his Dad from Beijingdidn't speak English, but was also really fun. It turns out he's some sort of government official from China in their Health Department. He's really interested in the Church, but not from a really religious standpoint. His son said he tried to get into both the Salt Lake and Oquirrh Mountain Temples and the workers had to tell him that he had to have a recommend. But the sad ending to this story, is that when we went back to teach them, the father and their tipsy friend were the only ones who listened to us and they were both drunk. And they both asked questions that were beyond deep and not necessary and confusing altogether. Like "God created us, but nature is different. Nature created itself. Maybe God created people, but He couldn't create Nature". Huh?? Must come from their Daoist background. We asked one of them if he would pray about our message and he immediately closed his eyes and started mumbling then said "sorry, I didn't get an answer". We told him to try again when he was alone and there weren't a ton of people around with crazy amounts of noise and he said "I will probably just start thinking of my girlfriend." Haha. It was interesting. We'd also be in the middle of teaching and the father would get up and get out a HUGE camera and snap dozens and dozens of pictures. Haha. So funny.

We are teaching this cute kid named Townsend. He's 12 and so pure and good. He's getting baptized on Sunday and we're SO excited for him. Tracting is actually kind of fun. It's fun to be surprised at who is behind the door. Sometimes it's an inactive member, sometimes nonmember, sometimes interested, sometimes not. It's fun. We felt prompted to go to a certain door the other day and it ended up being an inactive member that we just did the dishes for. Anyway, missionary work is fun.

Hmmm...well, I can't think of anything else that's of much interest. I'll just say that it's interesting how much your testimony is strengthened by the sharing of it and the sharing of the gospel. And I used to be afraid that if someone said, "You're Church is wrong and blah blah blah" that it would weaken my faith, but so far, it just makes me want grab them by the shoulders and say "If you ONLY knew!! If you only knew what you were saying. The truth is staring you in the face!!"

Anyway, Love you all! Sorry my emails aren't cooler. Haha. Tell me what you're all up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment