Tuesday, March 2, 2010

FINALLY in Taiwan!!!

I'm in Taiwan and I love it!! Very little culture shock...it's just like coming home! It's almost exactly like China, except I get to share the gospel, which is a dream come true. In China I always wanted to tell the people about the church but couldn't and now I can! I love it...but my Chinese is horrid so they don't understand me. Alas. But the day will come! I don't have a whole ton of time, so I will just make a wee little list of the fun things about Taiwan.
1. I have 2 companions. Sister Scott and Kunzler. They are awesome. Sister Scott is African American and people apparently ask her often if she's Obama's daughter. Haha. Sister Kunzler is from South Carolina and Sister Scott is from Maryland.
2. I'm in a suburb of Xinzhu called Zhubei. It's HUGE!! My area in SL was about 15 blocks. This is several miles. We biked for 45 minutes to an investigator's house yesterday. I'll tell you. The best way to work off cellulite is biking for a million years. My rear hurts so bad but it looks awesome! haha. I breathe scooter exhaust all day, but meh, oh well. There are a bajillion scooters here.
3. I haven't seen Jay Chou yet, but don't worry, I will baptize him before I leave. :D
4. Little boys are adorable yet evil. They torture their mothers but they are so cute their Mom's can't stay mad at them.
5. My skin is always super clammy because of the humidity. I hate it. I feel so sticky. But I must have hair similar to Asians because I stopped using conditioner too and my hair is awesome. When I first got here I used conditioner and it looked like I rubbed my head in bacon.
6. Sleeping is misery. Remember nice, cozy, dry sheets? Well pretend that every night someone snuck in your room with a spray bottle and dampened your whole bed. It's SO uncomfortable. It makes my skin crawl.
7. I really could like in Taiwan forever. I hope that umm...whomever I marry wouldn't be opposed to living here. Haha. I love it so much. It brings back great memories and feelings of China and the people and atmosphere is so wonderful. I love it!
8. Biking in a skirt is an adventure. Sometimes you have no choice but to flash the world your undies. Some people have said, "oh, I know the Sister missionaries! They are the ones with the white biking shorts." Yeah...Anyway, I'm improving.
9. Oh! haha, I have to tell you about my first two contacting experiences. The first one my companion and I walked up to a man and introduced ourselves. I told him I'd just barely gotten to Taiwan and said "I'm nervous to speak Chinese." But the tones were off or something because it came out: "I'm Bible to speak Chinese." Then the next person I talked to, was a 15 year old boy on a scooter. I asked his name and he said, Zeng. I said, "Oh! Mr. Zeng" He said, "actually, it's Miss Zeng". I was mortified!! It was a girl with a boy haircut!! I was freaking out and apologizing but then she just said, "oh don't worry. I'm gay." Awkward!!
10. They make a drink out of everything. I gagged down asparagus juice the other night at a member's house. I was pretty good at staying composed but accidentally shuddered when the member looked my way.
11. Paddington Bear is all the rage here. Weird.
12. I've experienced the singing garbage trucks. When you hear a pleasant tune in the road below, instead of seeing chubby children with their pennies buying nice little ice cream cones, you see hoards of people running out with sacks of garbage.
13. Their are orange spots all over the road from people spitting "beetlenut", a narcotic wrapped in a red substance. Ew!.
14. It's fun to contact people at traffic lights.
15. Everything looks like it came from a Jay Chou music video. Go to Youtube and type "Terraced Field Jay chou" and that's what taiwan looks like.
Love you! TIme is up!!
COloey

No comments:

Post a Comment